I’m getting really close to putting out a real deal big board. Exciting times, I know. Before I do that, I figured I’d throw out a list of the top HS arms for the 2014 MLB Draft. My master list has 300+ names so far, so I tried to cut it down to a more reasonable 50+ of the best of the best. This seemed like the best way to get some easy feedback to see if I’m somehow forgetting somebody obvious. Let me know, please.
A few names strongly considered and plenty worthy but cut because I had to draw a line somewhere: Pat Mahomes, Dakody Clemmer, Brett Daniels, Tommy Doyle, Grant Reuss, Jayce Vancena, Jesse Lepore, Willie Rios, Alex Destino, Kevin Pimentel, Brad Bass, Quinn Brodey, Cameron Bishop, Gabriel Gonzalez, Cody Reed, Kyle Marsh, Kevin Steen, Devin Smeltzer, and Jeremiah Muhammad.
The list is in no order. That’s true. I mean, maybe I’ve started moving guys around a very little bit…like, the top four names, but that’s all. No more than that. So don’t read anything into the order just yet. Again, just trying to get a feel for whether or not I have all the major guys covered at this point. Wisdom of crowds, show yourself!
- LHP Brady Aiken (Cathedral Catholic HS, California)
- RHP Tyler Kolek (Shepherd HS, Texas)
- RHP Touki Toussaint (Coral Springs Christian HS, Florida)
- RHP Grant Holmes (Conway HS, South Carolina)
- RHP Jacob Bukauskas (Stone Bridge HS, Virginia)
- RHP Michael Kopech (Mount Pleasant HS, Texas)
- RHP Dylan Cease (Milton HS, Georgia)
- RHP Ryan Castellani (Brophy Prep, Arizona)
- RHP Drew Rasmussen (Mount Spokane HS, Washington)
- RHP Cameron Varga (Cincinnati Hills Christian Academy, Ohio)
- LHP Carson Sands (North Florida Christian HS, Florida)
- RHP Blake Bivens (Washington HS, Virginia)
- LHP Justus Sheffield (Tullahoma HS,Tennessee)
- RHP Marvin Gorgas (East Hampton HS, Connecticut)
- RHP Joey Gatto (St. Augustine Prep, New Jersey)
- RHP Brigham Hill (Nacogdoches HS, Texas)
- LHP Bennett Sousa (Benjamin HS, Florida)
- RHP Alex Faedo (Alonso HS, Florida)
- RHP Bryce Montes de Oca (Lawrence HS, Kansas)
- RHP Derek Casey (Hanover HS, Virginia)
- RHP Branden Kelliher (Lake Stevens HS, Washington)
- LHP Tucker Baca (North Gwinnett HS, Georgia)
- RHP Jonathan Teaney (Quartz Hill HS, California)
- RHP Tylor Megill (Los Alamitos HS, California)
- RHP Alex Lange (Lee’s Summit West HS, Missouri)
- RHP Keaton McKinney (Ankeny HS, Iowa)
- RHP Grant Hockin (Damien HS, California)
- RHP Spencer Adams (White County HS, Georgia)
- RHP Jonah Patten (Norwell HS, Indiana)
- RHP Weston Davis (Manatee HS, Florida)
- RHP Jake Nix (Los Alamitos HS, California)
- RHP Turner Larkins (Arlington Martin HS, Texas)
- RHP Brandon Murray (Hobart HS, Indiana)
- RHP Sean Reid-Foley (Sandalwood HS, Florida)
- RHP Andrew Karp (West Orange HS, Florida)
- RHP Colton Hock (Bloomsburg Area HS, Pennsylvania)
- RHP Cobi Johnson (Mitchell HS, Florida)
- RHP Bryan Dobzanski (Delsea Regional HS, New Jersey)
- LHP Kodi Medeiros (Waiakea HS, Hawaii)
- RHP Garrett Cave (South Sumter HS, Florida)
- RHP Garrett Fulencheck (Howe HS, Texas)
- RHP Luis Ortiz (Sanger HS, California)
- RHP Keith Weisenberg (Osceola HS, Florida)
- RHP Jake Godfrey (Providence Catholic HS, Illinois)
- RHP Mitch Hart (Granite Bay HS, California)
- RHP Cre Finfrock (Martin County HS, Florida)
- LHP/OF Alex Verdugo (Sahuaro HS, Arizona)
- RHP Gage Burland (East Valley HS, Washington)
- RHP Scott Blewett (CW Baker HS, New York)
- LHP Foster Griffin (First Academy, Florida)
- LHP David Peterson (Regis Jesuit HS, Colorado)
- RHP Austin DeCarr (Salisbury Prep, Massachusetts)
- RHP Mitch Keller (Xavier HS, Iowa)
- LHP Mac Marshall (Parkview HS, Georgia)
Mac Marshall, did I miss something here?
Whoa, good catch. Deleted him by accident when getting rid of my notes after copying/pasting from my Word doc. He was between Cease and Castellani originally. Thanks.
I like your passion for baseball. I would be interested if you ever considered issuing a Top JUCO draft projectable list of players? The data would be credible and also would be readily available to analyze using the NJCAA website. The JUCO players appear to have as much if not more leverage once drafted than your average four year D1 player who based on having the option to attend D1 as opposed to signing with MLB team. Just a recommendation.
Appreciate the recommendation. I wish I could do more than I do with JUCO prospects, but, quite honestly, I lack a lot of the knowledge, time, and resources (specifically informed contacts) to do more than I currently do in that area. I did dabble a little earlier this year (link below), though not JUCO specifically but rather all non-D1 prospects. Man, just looking through that reinforces how much I’d like to do more to shed a light on JUCO prospects. Good call. Always fun writing about below-the-radar guys.
I can’t believe you removed Cody Reed. I watched him strike out 20 this past weekend at state play offs. He is a heck of a first baseman and hitter as well.